Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GK *not* releasing on Linux

French Quarter Tourist

GK *not* releasing on Linux

Figured this deserved its own thread. I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but my previous statement that GK would be available on Linux turns out to be incorrect. I wasn't previously aware of this (I should have been, but wasn't, entirely my mistake), but that wasn't actually ever part of the agreement with Activision. Just PC, Mac, Android, and iOS devices.

It's also worth adding a quick note here in case people don't see my clarification later in the thread - Linux was never a platform we were developing for and I simply assumed that it was. Shoot the messenger if you need to, this was entirely a bad assumption on my part.
    Last edited by wilco64256; 12-12-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Weldon L Hathaway
    Technical Director
    Phoenix Online Studios

French Quarter Tourist Justin Smith's Avatar
    That's horrible news! What were the suits thinking? I hate having top reboot into Windoze every time I want to play a game.
    "As long as you are not aware of the continual law of Die and Be Again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark Earth." --- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Grrrr, stupid corporates

I'm not even a Linux user and I don't like that news. I believe that there should be as many ports as the engine supports. I just don't get some of the big companies.
    "Oh, isn't that sweet? She is still trying to save your soul. Of course, you don't have one."
    ╬҉ ~ St. George's Knights: Paying for Our Fathers' Sins $6.66 at a time ~ ҉╬
    Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement

Dread Hill Denizen
    Funny, since Android is an open, linux-based operating system, too.

Snake Handler
    i would agree with Activision...there is only so much money to throw around for a remake and spending extra money on a linux version which is never going to capture a sizeable audience is a waste of resources.

Also consider the bias towards making the game on Apple platforms like the iPad, it's as if we are expecting most people will play the Apple version and this couldn't be further removed from the Linux audience!

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    I'm a dual Linux/Mac person who prefers to work on the Linux side and games are a substantial reason I'm still using a Mac regularly, so – yeah, I'm disappointed.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 11-29-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo

It doesn't cost them anything to release it under linux --- the software can spit out a linux version of the game at the click of a button. Either the execs don;t quite realize that or they have an arrangement with Microsoft and/or Apple to not realease Linux games (in return for "valuable considerations.
    "As long as you are not aware of the continual law of Die and Be Again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark Earth." --- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

They're using Unity for Moebius, and I would assume the same for GK20. Unity now allows a Linux port. Ergo it shouldn't be too hard to do. I know that this is being published by Activision, but I've seen so many Kickstarter projects offer a Linux port right out of the gate (or at least as stretch goals). They'd be crazy to ignore ANY subsection of the gaming world, no matter how small.
    "Oh, isn't that sweet? She is still trying to save your soul. Of course, you don't have one."
    ╬҉ ~ St. George's Knights: Paying for Our Fathers' Sins $6.66 at a time ~ ҉╬
    Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
    It doesn't cost them anything to release it under linux --- the software can spit out a linux version of the game at the click of a button. Either the execs don;t quite realize that or they have an arrangement with Microsoft and/or Apple to not realease Linux games (in return for "valuable considerations.
    As much as I would like to see a linux port this is just not true; it isn't just a matter of pushing a button. Yes, assuming there are no platform specific calls in the code, or any features used in the engine which are not supported on the linux platform pushing a button will give you a binary that runs on linux. That, however, does not mean that that is the end of it, for every port you will basically have to do Q&A again, yes it will be less effort than a port to a completely different engine, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't require time, effort and thus money.

Still, it's a stupid decision to make, especially in niche genres like adventure games you're likely to find people wanting to run the game in linux. Not releasing a linux build when the costs are minimal just serves to alienate people...

Quote Originally Posted by wich View Post
    As much as I would like to see a linux port this is just not true; it isn't just a matter of pushing a button. Yes, assuming there are no platform specific calls in the code, or any features used in the engine which are not supported on the linux platform pushing a button will give you a binary that runs on linux. That, however, does not mean that that is the end of it, for every port you will basically have to do Q&A again, yes it will be less effort than a port to a completely different engine, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't require time, effort and thus money.
    That's all very well, but the people who vetoed the port were not the ones spending the effort. Why didn't Activision just say "we're not marketing the Linux port and none of our money goes towards it -- support that thing on your own dime, Pinkerton Road/Phoenix" ? What could Activision possibly have gained by not allowing Pinkerton to provide a Linux version even to their backers? It seems like someone over there positively has a grudge towards Linux.
    But the other criminal made him shut up: "Have you no fear of God? You're getting the same as him. We deserve this, but not him—he did nothing to deserve this." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you enter your kingdom." He said, "Don't worry, I will. Today you will join me in paradise." Luke 23: 39-43

Wow I just had a horrible thought... if Activision is intentionally boycotting Linux (maybe they don't want to encourage SteamOS success), they probably won't allow GK4 to be released on Linux either! Aaargh!
    But the other criminal made him shut up: "Have you no fear of God? You're getting the same as him. We deserve this, but not him—he did nothing to deserve this." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you enter your kingdom." He said, "Don't worry, I will. Today you will join me in paradise." Luke 23: 39-43

That's unfortunate news. Thankfully I'm a Mac OS user.
    "Es muss nicht immer so weiter gehen."-Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Steph View Post
    Wow I just had a horrible thought... if Activision is intentionally boycotting Linux (maybe they don't want to encourage SteamOS success), they probably won't allow GK4 to be released on Linux either! Aaargh!
    Hehe, IF they let Jane make a GK4...

But anyway, sorry to you guys who were hoping for a Linux port. :/

I don't know Activision's track record with Linux, or if any of the various games Steam supports on Linux are published by Activision. Nevertheless, it doesn't make much sense to me.

This makes me wonder, though...we know Pinkerton is licensing GK from Activision, but is Activision still actually funding the game? I don't recall any info about the funding situation, but my impression from the delay and 'reboot' was that Activision essentially said, "Okay, you can make the game, but we're not going to support it financially with one of our developer teams." And that was how Phoenix became the GK20 developer? Or do I have that wrong?
    Last edited by Mostly; 11-30-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    "Gabriel Knight! What are you doing here!?" - Dr. John

Quote Originally Posted by Mostly View Post
    I don't know Activision's track record with Linux, or if any of the various games Steam supports on Linux are published by Activision. Nevertheless, it doesn't make much sense to me.
    Once upon a time, near the turn of the century, Activision allowed a small Linux game publisher called Loki to port a few of their popular games. Loki went kaput and Activision never again bothered with Linux support to my knowledge. The recent push by Valve to get Steam games running on Linux, so they will run natively on SteamBox game machines, does not seem to have persuaded Activision yet
    http://store.steampowered.com/search...her=Activision

Quote Originally Posted by Mostly View Post
    This makes me wonder, though...we know Pinkerton is licensing GK from Activision, but is Activision still actually funding the game? I don't recall any info about the funding situation, but my impression from the delay and 'reboot' was that Activision essentially said, "Okay, you can make the game, but we're not going to support it financially with one of our developer teams." And that was how Phoenix became the GK20 developer? Or do I have that wrong?
    That is my understanding too, from how things were worded, though there was no explicit statement. Of course if Activision is still funding development it would be more understandable for them to be touchy about anything that could impact the budget, though it still would have been easy for them to allow Pinkerton to release Linux without using any Activision resources. Still suspect they might have an anti-linux policy to spite Valve, not wanting them to prosper too much with their SteamBox platform, and didn't want to bother with an exception just so Jane can make some of her backers happy.
    Last edited by Ron & Steph; 12-01-2013 at 12:07 AM.

This is a damn shame. I'm actually bitterly upset by this turn of events (ruined an otherwise nice weekend, actually). It's hard not to take it personally when those penguins among us have taken lengths to promote Activision's previously-believed change of heart. I disagree with the backer, above, who observed that the port would not recoup it's cost. I believe that we saw during the Kickstarter campaign that Linux backers came out to support the project, and I'm guessing it was to the tune of five digits, which would probably cover the cost of dev & QA on a robust, high-quality Unity3D port of at least Moebius. I don't see this as a financial decision on Activision's part; I think it's a business decision, possibly based on a strawman financial decision. It's even worse if it's actually funded by Pinkerton Road's finances (as was hinted at in several statements of Jane's).

Weldon; I don't suppose there's anything you expect we, Linux backers, can do to help change their minds? Is there any avenue to do so? Like Speedster, I share the concern that this ruins our chances for a GK4 on Linux, despite the fact that even it is not a certainty.

Man, I'm so glad I backed Jane & PR on this Kickstarter project. Not only is Moebius looking great, but I now have the poster-child example of why not to work with a publisher, along with my own personal stories of this experience, to bring back to my home community. The only role I see Activision playing here is to be the source of delays, confusion, misinformation and misery. Oh, and permission to go make them some money at little to no cost to themselves.

I must say that I can't hold PR or POS responsible for this, as it is blatantly obvious that the publisher sprung this B.S. on them. I'll be happy with Cognition on Linux (no, POS, we haven't forgotten!) and with Moebius, as well as future original IPs. The possibility of no GK4 cuts pretty deeply though...
    "S.D." from Kickstarter; Linux adventure gamer!

Quote Originally Posted by jaggers View Post
    I don't see this as a financial decision on Activision's part; I think it's a business decision, possibly based on a strawman financial decision.
    Note that I *never* said it was a good financial decision, or even really a financial decision. All I noted was that it *does* take money in contrast to what had been sad before. That this expenditure is very likely justifiable, but that the publishers chose to completely ignore it is the point at issue here. Going a bit further it probably isn't the expenditure that is the decider here it is the return of investment they expect. Even if the revenue of a linux build will outweigh the cost the ROI is never likely to be big (in monetary terms) and hence they will likely surmise that investing that same effort and time that will bring more ROI is a better investment. Which in itself is not really an invalid argument but completely ignores the intangible returns that a linux build would bring: appreciation from the community, even those not directly using the linux build; inroads into a relatively fresh and quite possibly growing market; eagerness for future games with linux releases without any necessary marketing, (at least for the time being and probably much more that I now cannot think of. The trouble is that with big corporations the route taken is always some combination of the biggest ROI for the smallest risk, which in general is middle of the road stuff that will have a healthy but boring market.

Anyway, enough of that, I'm with you on trying to prise a linux build out of their hands anyway. Sheldon, anything we can do to make this happen? A few of us have already volunteered to do Q&A testing for a possible linux build in another thread, could that ease things over? Anything else we could be doing?

Wich, you are overlooking that there can be infinite ROI on donated work!

Suppose Weldon, on his own time, hits the button to generate a Linux build, emails it to a few pro Linux testers, and they provide feedback which indicates the Linux build works just like the Windows one, meaning no linux-specific bugs, on Ubuntu LTS (don't tell me this can't happen, because I've seen it happen specifically with recent Unity builds). At that point Pinkerton Road/Phoenix could handle all the Linux sales (say through Humble store) and support it with a community forum.

Activision would then get their licensing cut for any Linux sales, with zero Linux-specific investment, how is that a small ROI??

What part of that picture could Activision possibly be missing, such that they made this decision based on ROI? That's why I suspect they have ulterior motives (like my otherwise-unfounded speculation that they are worried about Steambox success)
    Last edited by Ron & Steph; 12-09-2013 at 01:05 PM.

I'll quote only this:

Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

peeps:
    Activision probably has an agreement with Microsoft or Apple not to support Linux. There is afterall still a battle of operating systems going on (albeit behind the scenes). Deals get made and often hold clauses like that. It's unfortunate, but it's common business.

Activision probably has an agreement with Microsoft or Apple not to support Linux.
    That was my first thought when I heard of the non-support of Linux. They probably have agreements with both companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Sels View Post
    peeps:
    Activision probably has an agreement with Microsoft or Apple not to support Linux.
    IANAL but I am pretty sure that is illegal. Exclusivity is sort of allowed when it is registered and approved. But even that is a legal hairy mess and clearly is not the case here as the game is coming to windows and mac. Forbidding release to a particular platform, (while they are not themselves the IP owner,) would fall well within illegal practices in antitrust law.

I say again;

Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Activision is the IP owner and can choose to honor an agreement with Microsoft or Apple. Microsoft won't try to ban games on Apple because it is too big a market and Apple can't ban games on Windows for the same reason. Linux is the upstart with small market-share that both regard as a potential competitor. Apple is very opposed to software being developed for Linux: they never released iTunes for Linux and even modified their iPod Classic so that an open-source Linux music system wouldn't be compatible with it (Apple introduced a hardware "password" that software would have to supply). If fact, if it detects this Linux software trying access music on an iPod Classic, it deletes everything (this happened to me). Apple and Microsoft both play hardball where Linux is concerned.

Justin, I mean Microsoft and Apple are not the IP owner here, so they have nothing to say about it, and trying to tell Activision what to do with their IP would be illegal as far as I know. And yes, with their own stuff they do their utmost to keep linux, (or at least software not of their own making, which I think is the larger concern,) away from their products. They have nothing whatsoever to say about IP of other companies however. Why do you think Apple made the App Store? That is a perfect, and legal, way for them to do have their own control over other people's IP. But still, all they can do there is ban people from bringing certain IP to their product, and maybe coax users towards certain IP with featured pages and search algorithms, they cannot prevent the same IP to be available on other products unless they own that IP.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    This is very disappointing. I really enjoyed GK3, but never played the first game so I was really looking forward to this and planning to buy it on Linux and Android. Based on this news, I don't think it's worth buying at all anymore. You've lost a customer.

@wilco64256: Please forward this message on to whomever gave you the news of Linux support being canceled.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    This is really terrible news! To be honest, I'm upset with how Linux support has been handled so far. As a CSG member, there hasn't been any release, or really any communication about the Linux port (as far as I've seen in the email communications, I haven't been following here, maybe I should?). And now, Linux users won't get GK either. I really want to support PR here, I love Jane Jensen's games, but PR needs to push back on this.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseJX View Post
    This is really terrible news! To be honest, I'm upset with how Linux support has been handled so far. As a CSG member, there hasn't been any release, or really any communication about the Linux port (as far as I've seen in the email communications, I haven't been following here, maybe I should?). And now, Linux users won't get GK either. I really want to support PR here, I love Jane Jensen's games, but PR needs to push back on this.
    I couldn't agree more about the Linux support. I don't understand either why we haven't been given access to the Linux build of Moebius during the beta phase. Activision not allowing Linux version seems backwards ATM since Linux gaming is on the cusp of really getting big, e.g. getting AAA titles etc.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Such a senseless decision is the perfect example why developers should never ever rely on publishers. Just never!

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    This is horrible! I was so waiting for new GK! And just few weeks ago I praised the old GK being the best in it's genre to my colleagues. Now I cannot even play the new one! (I only have linux machines).

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    I just registered here to say that I'm not going to ever download any games from Activision from torrents to show my negative attitude to such decisions and to not contribute to the popularity of their games. Needless to say I'm not going to spend a single kopek for buying Activision games.

PS I do not know what GK: Sins of the Fathers is nor am I a dedicated Linux gamer,

Justin, I mean Microsoft and Apple are not the IP owner here, so they have nothing to say about it, and trying to tell Activision what to do with their IP would be illegal as far as I know.
    They're not ordering Activision to oppose Linux --- of course they can't do that. I'm sure there's a quid pro quo: "If you promise not to support Linux, we'll give you stuff". Perhaps "stuff" is special hooks into the Windoze operating system to make their games run better or maybe it's plain old-fashioned money. Activision has decided that the stuff they're getting is worth giving up the small Linux market.

This is like big drug companies in the US paying generic drug companies not to make certain generic drugs (this has happened!). If the generic drug company can make a credible threat (i.e. show that it has the facilities for manufacturing the drug) the nongeneric company will pay them not to use the facilities. For the generic company it's a tough decision: either we go to a lot of trouble manufacturing the drugs (quality control, etc) or we do nothing and make the same money...

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    I have followed Gabriel Knight down the dark paths he walked since I was 5 years old and my father purchased the first one and brought it home. It was really hard purchasing computer games in Greece at the time, paying as much as 150-200 USD in modern rates due to a weak national currency and taxes. But the experience was worth it and I want to believe it helped shape me into who I am today.

Upon hearing that GK would be back, if just for one more time, I was excited. Sadly, this piece of news is where me and my old buddy part ways. I actually use Windows 7 in one of my computers, but that is not the point. I do not expect people to understand and, most of the time, they don't. But there's more at stake here than me enjoying 20 -or so- hours of gaming. It is about freedom in a sense so pure that it escapes the mind of even the most Liberal political writers.

Using Linux means that, if a hardware manufacturer wants to force you to buy a new GPU card, simply by decreasing the quality of legacy drivers, some people dedicate time out of their lives to provide you with alternative, open source drivers that help YOU stay on the same GPU, with respectable fps, for three additional years, if not more.

It means that I am not manipulated by antivirus firms who may, or may not, produce viruses and release them into the wild, so as to justify their asking price.

More than any of that, it means -and this affects you too, my sceptical friend- that if Windows or Apple decide on some horrible violation of personal freedom or make awful design and performance decisions, there is an entirely free alternative. That alternative is what Activision, Microsoft and Apple do not want you and me to have. It is called monopolizing and it is part of everything that's wrong in the modern economic system. The insatiable accumulation of wealth, ladies and gentlemen.

By the time we start caring enough on issues such as this, things will have gone to hell and back and go to hell a second time. Maybe it's because I'm from Greece that I feel this way, but can anyone guarantee that my "safety" that was forever destroyed in the 2008-2013 crisis, was any less secure than yours?

On a less serious note, replace nvidia with Activision and you get the one-liner for my post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XVnJ_0qhg
    Last edited by arstyl; 12-12-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Guys, I've just become aware of this thread. I just want to clarify.

1. First, we never said MGX would be released on Linux only that Moebius would be. If you look down at the bottom of the kickstarter page it just says MGX is new and still TBD. So there were no promises broken or blocked by either Pinkerton Road or Activision. Keep in mind that from the start we realized that MGX was a game we were working with a publisher on, and we would have less control over. I don't see that as a bad thing. It's FANTASTIC that we are doing the GK1 remake. And that means working with the GK license holder. Also, to reiterate, MGX/GK1 is *not* being funded by kickstarter. That money all went into Moebius (and then some).

2. Secondly, we are thrilled to have gotten the license to release GK1 on PC, Mac, Apple mobile and Android. There is no anti-Linux conspiracy. We are also not releasing on console either, for example. It was simply a matter of "these platforms make the most sense in the market right now, let's release there and see how it goes". We may be granted permission to do more platforms later, but that depends on how well the game turns out and how it sells.

I know those of you who are passionate about Linux are disappointed, but there is nothing to be upset at Activision about (or, I hope, me!).

Jane
    Last edited by Jane Jensen; 12-12-2013 at 07:40 AM.

French Quarter Tourist
    Also, a note of clarification, as it seems my original post gave some folks the impression that this was something that happened along the way. That's not correct. Linux was never one of the platforms we would be developing for, I had just assumed that we would be doing all the same platforms that we were doing with Moebius. I wasn't aware that was not actually accurate until a couple of weeks ago so the misinformation from the announcement thread is 100% my fault for making a bad assumption and I am sorry for that.
    Weldon L Hathaway
    Technical Director
    Phoenix Online Studios

RPS published a story on this, so it may help to contact them in case of wanting to clarify anything they've reported.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...ersion-banned/
    "Gabriel Knight! What are you doing here!?" - Dr. John

@Mostly -- thanks for the head's up. Yeah, that whole thing is being spread in the media today. We'll try to get a handle on it.

Thanks, guys.

Pinkerton Roadie - Moderator JosephTheAustin's Avatar
    I'm not surprised, Activision's development teams probably aren't familiar with Linux and have no testbed for it. As stated above, every platform you release for is cost in terms of testing, especially when you don't have a testing framework in place. Up until lately, Linux was not considered by any AAA company as worthy of so much as consideration.

But to be perfectly honest, it's a point and click adventure game. Run it in Wine. It will probably be exactly the same :P
    ╬҉ ~ St. George's Knights: Paying for Our Fathers' Sins $6.66 at a time ~ ╬҉

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Jensen View Post

1. First, we never said MGX would be released on Linux only that Moebius would be. If you look down at the bottom of the kickstarter page it just says MGX is new and still TBD. So there were no promises broken or blocked by either Pinkerton Road or Activision. Keep in mind that from the start we realized that MGX was a game we were working with a publisher on, and we would have less control over. I don't see that as a bad thing. It's FANTASTIC that we are doing the GK1 remake. And that means working with the GK license holder. Also, to reiterate, MGX/GK1 is *not* being funded by kickstarter. That money all went into Moebius (and then some).

2. Secondly, we are thrilled to have gotten the license to release GK1 on PC, Mac, Apple mobile and Android. There is no anti-Linux conspiracy. We are also not releasing on console either, for example. It was simply a matter of "these platforms make the most sense in the market right now, let's release there and see how it goes". We may be granted permission to do more platforms later, but that depends on how well the game turns out and how it sells.

I know those of you who are passionate about Linux are disappointed, but there is nothing to be upset at Activision about (or, I hope, me!).

Jane
    It just seems so upside down now with Linux getting moment with SteamOS. But in the end this what makes sense to Activision. Hopefully the game will sell enough so that we may get a Linux version in the end. But if not then I'm not going to play the GK1 remake simply because Linux is all that I run.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Jensen View Post

Jane
    I really appreciate that you're excited about remaking GK1 and I hope you do get to make more awesome GK games! I hope that you understand though that it's hard for me, a Linux user who backed as a CSG Member, to not feel a little bit left out. We haven't even gotten a test build of Moebius yet! This news is just another thing that's making us feel like second rate backers.

I do think that it's a bit silly to think that Linux users wouldn't be upset at Activision or Pinkerton Road upon hearing this news.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseJX View Post
    I really appreciate that you're excited about remaking GK1 and I hope you do get to make more awesome GK games! I hope that you understand though that it's hard for me, a Linux user who backed as a CSG Member, to not feel a little bit left out. We haven't even gotten a test build of Moebius yet! This news is just another thing that's making us feel like second rate backers.

I do think that it's a bit silly to think that Linux users wouldn't be upset at Activision or Pinkerton Road upon hearing this news.
    The reason we have not released a Moebius beta on Linux is because we need to upgrade the engine to do that, and it's a matter of not wanting to upset the apple cart this close to launch and also $ (we had an engine change in the middle of GK1, and no matter how innocuous it's supposed to be, it isn't). Also we've been focused on trying to get through our critical bug fixes/priorities on the budget. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV) we are a small indie team working on very tight funds. You WILL get Moebius on Linux. For the next games we do, we will have the engine upgrade in place and it should be pretty easy to release our betas on Linux too.

For Moebius, I do apologize that we haven't been able to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast