Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Remake Announced!

Pinkerton Roadie - Moderator KatieHal's Avatar

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Remake Announced!

It's official--MGX has been revealed at long last to be a remake of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers!

gk_tweet.jpg

Read details in Geoff Keighley's interview with Jane!

Then enjoy some beautiful screenshots and more information about the remake at the new website here, and to stay extra up-to-date on news about the remake, join the CSG!
    Katie Hallahan
    Phoenix Online Studios
    Designer and Public Relations Director
    Pinkerton Road
    Assistant Designer for Moebius and Gabriel Knight 1 Remake
    CSG Manager

Voodoo Drummer
    seems like the forum's "Mystery Game X (to be renamed)" subsection can finally be RENAMED!!!

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    While this is extremely cool and I look forward to play it, GK1 is the GK game I feel need a remake the least. GK1 aged really well with it's wellmade 2D pixel graphics while GK2 & GK3 aged less well with all the FMVs and primitive 3D graphics.

A part of me knew MGX would be Gabriel Knight game, either a remake or a new one. The art work looks stunning, I do hope you get as good of a cast the original had.

Quote Originally Posted by tomimt View Post
    A part of me knew MGX would be Gabriel Knight game, either a remake or a new one.
    Yep me too, except at the last few hours when a certain purple goat/tiger threw me off course Also, I remember Jane mentioning in one of the monthly updates (think it was in January) how it was GK1's 20th anniversary in 2013.
    That right there was a major hint.
    "Es muss nicht immer so weiter gehen."-Dixon

I too had a feeling from the get-go that MGX would be GK1 reworked. I am no less excited for it! Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is my all-time favorite adventure game and I am very happy at the prospect of playing it again with beautiful new graphics and a few new puzzles and backgrounds to look forward to. The screenshots I've seen so far look absolutely gorgeous and the redone theme song sent those familiar chills down my spine. I'm looking forward to seeing how new adventure fans may receive it, those who have never played it before. These are exciting times!

Just something to add to the conversation (yes, I'm pimping this announcement out as much as I can): http://www.kickstartadventure.com/ho...me-x-unveiled/

Oh, and I knew it had to be a GK1 remake. I read it in the stars.
    "Oh, isn't that sweet? She is still trying to save your soul. Of course, you don't have one."
    ╬҉ ~ St. George's Knights: Paying for Our Fathers' Sins $6.66 at a time ~ ҉╬
    Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Intendant S View Post
    Oh, and I knew it had to be a GK1 remake. I read it in the stars.
    Gee I read it in the screen shots from the open house!
    I can finally stop biting my tongue, it was getting painful.
    ♫ ♪ Two bucks for two notes! ♪ ♫
    ++Double the games, double the pledge++

Hello everybody!

I am new here. I have decided to join the moment I heard the good news. SotF remake is exactly what I was bidding for and...well...it looks like dreams do come true every once in a while

Anyway, many of you have probably already spotted this but, just to let anyone else know, if you go to the official website and keep clicking on the Sins of Fathers logo, you will eventually see 2 more artworks in the site background - Dixieland Drugstore and the Crime Scene.

Enjoy the clicking

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Let's just say that I have my sources that pretty much confirmed it for me. It's been a bitch for me to keep my mouth shut, too.
    "Oh, isn't that sweet? She is still trying to save your soul. Of course, you don't have one."
    Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Just to tweak the speculation dial up a bit, doesn't the player model of Gabriel in Jackson Square look awfully like Dean Erickson?...

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Hello everybody, need an honest opinion, im a big fan of broken sword, will i like this game? I never played the original so i guess for you must had been an injection of adrenaline no?

What do you think of this rework compared to the original? It captured the spirit well?

Sorry for my questions but i felt ashamed for not playing the original and honesty now i didnt had that will because the graphics were old.

its the same reason why didnt start Beneath a steel sky too, damm i need an ipad for the hi res

Quote Originally Posted by marinedalek View Post
    Just to tweak the speculation dial up a bit, doesn't the player model of Gabriel in Jackson Square look awfully like Dean Erickson?...
    That's the thing. Judging from the model, and the portrait; he looks exactly like a mix of the 3.
    http://i.imgur.com/QKoli.jpg

Sold 2 kidneys and a good chunk of my liver for Jane.
    I REGRET NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo View Post
    Hello everybody, need an honest opinion, im a big fan of broken sword, will i like this game? I never played the original so i guess for you must had been an injection of adrenaline no?

What do you think of this rework compared to the original? It captured the spirit well?

Sorry for my questions but i felt ashamed for not playing the original and honesty now i didnt had that will because the graphics were old.

its the same reason why didnt start Beneath a steel sky too, damm i need an ipad for the hi res
    There are certainly similarities between the two franchises. I'd say GK:s are somewhat darker or more "gothic" in their approach. Also, less conspiracy theories .

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Yeah, there would have been no way to mistake St. George's from that screenie! They captured it 100%, no question about it.

I seriously hope it does well enough to justify GK2/3 remakes also (esp. GK3)...
    "S.D." from Kickstarter; Linux adventure gamer!

Pinkerton Roadie - Moderator RoyMartin's Avatar

I think you'll like it. It's definitely worth a try. From the screens I've seen, it looks like they're doing a great job in remaking it.

I hope this will inspire Activision to do something about all those licenses they have locked down!
    Mosely: "You know, you used to be a lot more fun."
    Gabriel: "And you could touch your toes once. Shit happens."
    ╬҉ ~ St. George's Knights: Paying for Our Fathers' Sins $6.66 at a time ~ ╬҉

There's an almost definite chance you will like this game. It's one of the greatest adventure games ever made, along with King's Quest 6, Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive and The Longest Journey. (I haven't played Broken Sword yet)
    "Es muss nicht immer so weiter gehen."-Dixon

The screenshots looks really awesome.

So Gabriel now looks like he did in the third game? The leatherjacket had a big part in the first game but is probably a big headache to do in pre-rendered 3D so it's understandable that it has been removed (if that is the case). I liked his hair better in the first two games but it's obviously a minor detail.

Voodoo Drummer
    Quote Originally Posted by Coigreach View Post
    There are certainly similarities between the two franchises. I'd say GK:s are somewhat darker or more "gothic" in their approach. Also, less conspiracy theories .
    indeed. and i'd say that while there's a somewhat unserious, lighthearted, comical, humorous tone to all the Broken Sword games, with GK it's easier to suspend disbelief and immerse in the world.
    so yes, while both BS and GK share some similarities, they feel quite different.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Thank you all, ill definitly give it a try

There's a good chance you'll like Gabriel Knight. Broken Sword is more lighthearted, but both are excellent games.

And you really need to play BASS. It's free at GoG.com. Don't let pixels scare you. BTW, I think the HD remake is only for iPhone, not iPad.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Gk1 is a well made game already; through new players not used to adventure games may get lost. Any chance for director's commentary for certain scenes? I feel like a special edition should include this.

P.S
    If gk1 sells well I wonder what art design any remake of gk2 or 3 will take considering all the different art designs employed i.e. fmv and 3d graphics.

Pinkerton Roadie - Moderator RoyMartin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
    Gk1 is a well made game already; through new players not used to adventure games may get lost. Any chance for director's commentary for certain scenes? I feel like a special edition should include this.
    A director's commentary would be really cool
    Mosely: "You know, you used to be a lot more fun."
    Gabriel: "And you could touch your toes once. Shit happens."

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    I'm super excited about this remake because it's like a dream come true to be able to be part of it, and this remake will rock everyone's world.

However, for everyone asking for remakes of 2 and 3. No, no, no.

Instead, repeat with me and focus all your energies into... GABRIEL KNIGHT 4. The story is amazing, I've read it and I'd be so excited to see that one see the light of day!

So yes, there, let's make GK1 a success so we can work on GK4! It's been too long!

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    This is a dream come true! Ironically I just finished replaying the original GK1 yesterday and falling in love with the game all over again. Couldn't be more excited for this release and I'm sure Jane and Robert are too. Very happy to see Phoenix is the development team, they do fantastic work. You can already see the passion for this game oozing out of the screenshots.

Might sound silly but I am most excited for Robert's new soundtrack. I still listen to the original one all the time.

Voodoo Drummer
    well, while GK3 could really use a thorough remake (including some story elements, imo), i'd indeed rather see a GK4.

Jane keeps saying she has at least two possible storylines for GK4 sitting in her drawer.. you mean it's decided which way it will go?
    (and it's probably too soon to ask, but is GK4 thought to be design-wise following the style of GK1HD? or it's still very open?)

Cesar, you are touching history.. you'd better do a damn good job with SotF! *keeping fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by cesarbittar View Post
    I'm super excited about this remake because it's like a dream come true to be able to be part of it, and this remake will rock everyone's world.

Instead, repeat with me and focus all your energies into... GABRIEL KNIGHT 4. The story is amazing, I've read it and I'd be so excited to see that one see the light of day!

So yes, there, let's make GK1 a success so we can work on GK4! It's been too long!
    That would be a dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by cesarbittar View Post

I'd take GK 4 over any remake. I wouldn't mind a remake of GK 3, though. It is the one game that didn't age well in my opinion.

French Quarter Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by fw_k View Post
    well, while GK3 could really use a thorough remake (including some story elements, imo), i'd indeed rather see a GK4.

Jane keeps saying she has at least two possible storylines for GK4 sitting in her drawer.. you mean it's decided which way it will go?
    (and it's probably too soon to ask, but is GK4 thought to be design-wise following the style of GK1HD? or it's still very open?)

Cesar, you are touching history.. you'd better do a damn good job with SotF! *keeping fingers crossed*
    Rest assured, we're extremely aware that any future possibility for doing more Gabriel Knight work will be heavily determined by how well this remake goes.

And personally, I'd love to see GK4 come to light next as well.
    Weldon L Hathaway
    Technical Director
    Phoenix Online Studios

Quote Originally Posted by wilco64256 View Post
    Rest assured, we're extremely aware that any future possibility for doing more Gabriel Knight work will be heavily determined by how well this remake goes.
    No pressure then.

Voodoo Drummer
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelh View Post
    no pressure then.
    lol

Houdini's Cage Cleaner Vectorferret's Avatar
    Awesome to see Gabriel Knight, sad to not see something new. Overall I am happy as I missed Gabriel Knight when it was new, and it's not SCUMMVM supported if I could find it. Any chance we will see it on Linux like Moebius as it presumably uses most of the same middle level (between engine and puzzle layer code)? I always feel dirty switching out to play Cognition.

French Quarter Tourist
    Yeah GK will be ported to Linux as well, no worries there.
    Weldon L Hathaway
    Technical Director
    Phoenix Online Studios

You should probably add Linux to the info on the official GK site. Can't hurt to get the penguins interested early.

Houdini's Cage Cleaner

Trust me, the pressure is on. When you've been so obsessed with a game for your whole life, played it like 30 times over because of how I love it to pieces... I want to make sure this is going to be a true successor to the original!

We've been after this franchise in all seriousness since 2010. It's been 3 years of trying and fighting. It will succeed!

As far as GK4, yes, there were two stories, but when we were toying with it a few years ago with Jane, there was a definite story out of the two. I can tell you this much, it's not the "Ghosts in Scotland" story hinted in Sydney in GK3. Although one of those two aspects might still be true

Voodoo Drummer
    Cesar, i can't even imagine the mixture of elation and stress you must be feeling at the same time.
    it's got to be quite a story how the project - after all it's gone through - finally ended up in your hands.
    guess it will be impossible to make all the fans happy, but i hope GK1HD will succeed in satisfying MOST of us.
    put your hearts in it, and good luck!

and thanks for commenting on GK4.

a question: is the Gabriel facial close-up we see on the homepage representative of the final in-game version?

Houdini's Cage Cleaner
    Cesar, i can't even imagine the mixture of elation and stress you must be feeling at the same time.
    it's got to be quite a story how the project - after all it's gone through - finally ended up in your hands.
    guess it will be impossible to make all the fans happy, but i hope GK1HD will succeed in satisfying MOST of us.
    put your hearts in it, and good luck!

and thanks for commenting on GK4.

a question: is the Gabriel facial close-up we see on the homepage representative of the final in-game version?
    Thank you!

And yes, that's the final Gabriel as far as I know. But you know, things are always changing in development. Jane is very happy with him. I personally think he's hot

French Quarter Tourist
    Mixed feelings about this remake. On one hand it will be nice to play it again in a modern style and introduce a lot of new people to the series, but I was hoping for something new/original.
    Perhaps there is a GK4 in store after this, let us hope!

Voodoo Drummer
    Quote Originally Posted by Unleasher View Post
    Mixed feelings about this remake. On one hand it will be nice to play it again in a modern style and introduce a lot of new people to the series, but I was hoping for something new/original.
    many little facts about MGX seemed to point at its not being a completely new game. i would have been very surprised, had it turned out differently..

Quote Originally Posted by Unleasher View Post
    Perhaps there is a GK4 in store after this, let us hope!
    in any case, we're perhaps one step closer.
    let's hope the symbolism of the phoenix will very much rub on GK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wilco64256 View Post
    Yeah GK will be ported to Linux as well, no worries there.
    Whatwhatwhat?!?!?

(I know, it's not the GIF thread, and I won't add any more... but I had to add this one!)
    "S.D." from Kickstarter; Linux adventure gamer!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast